- LocationNairobi, Kenya
- DeadlineSeptember 20, 2021
GIF is seeking an Investment Director to join its dynamic investment team. This role sits within the public sector team, which uses grants to fund innovations developed by for-profit and non-profit entities which scale through public sector, multilateral or non-profit pathways. The Director will therefore focus on our grants portfolio, but will be required to assist with risk capital investments too.
Based in Nairobi, the Investment Director will also be GIF’s Africa Region Lead, responsible for establishing and maintaining key relationships in the region, sourcing innovations from local networks, and working directly with donors, investors, pipeline and portfolio organisations.
This role reports to the Managing Director (Public Sector).
Applications to be made via Oxford HR.
- • Education in development economics or a related subject.
- • A minimum of 6 years expereince in international development or public policy within a developing country, including professional experience living and working in a developing country context.
- • Experience working with government in a developing country.
- • Working knowledge of rigorous impact measurement, evaluation, and economic analysis.
- • Experience in evaluating the quality of evidence to support programmes and investments, and experience using rigorous evidence from empirical analysis to assess the social and economic impact of interventions.
- • Familiarity with the innovation, philanthropic, entrepreneurial and/or impact investment landscape in East Africa.
- • Familiarity with the fundamentals of due diligence, grant making and/or venture philanthropy.
- • Strong representational, networking and business development skill, and an ability to manage relationships with a wider range of stakeholders, including government agencies, multilateral agencies, private sector entities (including incubators and accelerators).
- • Experience of communicating on development to broad audiences, including through writing public reports.
- • Excellent analytical skills, balancing strong attention to detail and with the ability to think strategically.
- • Comfort with ambiguity, proven experience thriving in uncharted waters and at ease having challenging conversations.
- • Ability to interact effectively and harmoniously with other across diverse teams and cultures.
- • Self-motivated, with a commitment and passion to learn and develop.
- • Passion, humility, integrity, team player, proven self-direction and a spirited sense of humour.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Investment Director’s responsibilities include:
Sourcing innovations to build a pipeline of prospective investments which meet GIF criteria and the requirements for specific sub-funds. This includes:
• Promoting the GIF investment thesis and helping prospective applicants understand GIF investment criteria.
• Brokering partnerships to source high quality applications.
• Proactive research and outreach to prospective applicants in the region.
• Screening applications submitted through GIF’s open application platform.
Leading the evaluation of applications under active due diligence. This includes:
• Undertaking site visits and co-creating investment propositions with local applicants.
• Applying GIF investment criteria, including gender assessment tools, and coordinating diligence inputs from across the investment team, including the gender working group, legal, analytics and ESG.
• Sourcing expert advice from external reviewers.
• Preparing Investment memos and presenting recommendations for funding to Internal Investment Committees and Majority External Decision Panels.
Manage a portfolio of grants in the Africa region, including:
• Negotiating terms and finalising grant agreements for approved investments.
• Responding to reporting and monitoring progress towards objectives and KPIs.
• Maintaining risk registers and ensuring a proactive approach to risk identification and mitigation.
• Providing or helping obtain technical assistance for GIF’s grantees to provide value over and above capital.
Africa Region Lead
Manage operations in Kenya and East and Southern Africa, including:
• Being the face of GIF in the region Champion GIF’s investment and investment approach, building networks to help establish GIF as a recognised and trusted part of the East and Southern African entrepreneurial and investment ecosystems.
• Building relationships with partners, co-funders and co-investors, and help to attract follow-on investment for GIF’s most successful innovators.
• Coordinating closely with country offices of GIF’s funders such as USAID and DFID.
• Building a working relationship with DSI in South Africa and help to source deal flow for the GIF corporate sub-fund, ADVANCE.
Contribute to GIF’s wider organisational goals through:
• Managing and mentoring investment associate(s), supporting them to succeed and develop in their roles.
• Sharing learning internally to inform improvements to GIF systems, policies, and processes, and participate in developing collaborative solutions to organisational pain-points.
• Contributing to wider organisational initiatives through participation in cross team working groups.
• Participating in analytics and evaluation activities to measure and disseminate the impact of GIFs work and contributing to GIF’s transparency and communications objectives through capitalising on opportunities to showcase GIF’s work.
• Provide inputs to internal reporting against corporate indicators, board meeting materials, and external reporting to GIF’s donors.