Posted 7th March 2019
Global Innovation Fund (GIF) is proud to announce a new partnership focused on gender equality, with Global Affairs Canada (GAC), that aligns with Canada’s feminist international assistance agenda and GIF’s focus on improving the agency of women and girls.
This partnership uses GIF’s investment process and a strategic gender lens to find and fund innovations that advance gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
Consistent with GIF’s overall approach, the partnership looks for investments that benefit those living on less than $5 a day and can demonstrate or develop rigorous evidence of impact. GIF fully integrates a gender lens into its investment appraisal of all investment opportunities.
Building on GIF’s approach, the GIF-GAC’s partnership’s goals include:
- Promoting gender equality through innovations that empower women and girls by changing social structures or relations, removing constraints, and improving their agency.
- Deriving lessons to inform development practice globally on how to identify, implement, monitor and evaluate such innovations, and measure their impact.
Gender equality encompasses:
- Enhancing the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls;
- Increasing the participation of women and girls in equal decision making;
- Giving women and girls more equitable access to and control over the resources they need to secure ongoing economic and social equality.
An illustrative, but non-exhaustive, list of examples GIF might consider for funding includes:
- Prevention of gender-based violence:
o Enhancement of public safety, including protection against workplace harassment including gender-based violence in the workplace.
o Promotion of community compacts to end practices like child marriage and female genital mutilation.
- Improvement of household and social bargaining power, leading to greater decision-making by women and girls in the household.
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights:
o Improved access to menstrual hygiene products.
o Improved access to contraception and comprehensive sexuality education.
- Widening labour market opportunities for women and removing constraints for women’s access to the labour market.
- Helping women better understand their legal rights and improve their access to justice, for instance through legal aid.
- Promoting women’s equal access to land tenure, including equal rights related to property and land ownership.
- Providing women merchants and entrepreneurs more efficient access to supply chains and logistics.
If you think your innovation is a good fit, we would love to hear from you!
Photo credit: Nadja Wohlleben, Photojournalist and Documentary Photographer