Energy | Kenya | Pilot
- The development problem. 600 million people in Africa lack access to electricity, a gap which negatively impacts health, education and income.
- The innovation. Poa Power is a social-enterprise which provides clean and affordable electricity to off-grid, low income consumers in Kenya through a unique a ‘pay-as-you-go’ (PAYG) business model. This business model allows Poa Power to sell energy on a metered pay-as-you-go basis with no upfront equipment costs. This ensures that even the lowest income households can access clean energy as and when they choose.
- GIF’s Investment. GIF’s £150,000 convertible debt investment will support PoaPower to test this business model innovation, by distributing and installing their technology in 100-200 households in the Mount Kenya area.
- Why we invested.
- Innovation in both technology and pricing. Poa Power’s pilot will test a new business model as well as unique power supply proposition for low-income households. The market test that Poa Power is subjected to will make it easy to assess whether people value this service and what prices they are willing and able to pay for solar power.
- Experienced team. The leadership behind Poa Power has entrepreneurial experience in the solar sector in East Africa.